Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Book Review: The New Jewelry

Repost (Originally July 3, 2009)

Another wonderful book I’ve come across at the library is The New Jewelry: Contemporary Materials & Techniques by Carles Codina. This whole ‘borrowing’ books concept is great! Okay, so I didn’t exactly run across it. I looked it up on the online catalog and ordered it to be delivered to my branch from one half an hour away.
This book is like a buffet… the author covers a whole bunch of different techniques and materials, including projects with complete tutorials. There are three main divisions: ‘Techniques with unconventional materials’ (which includes wood, paper, plastic & resin), ‘Creative Resources’ (things which most of us will only see in our dreams, like Computer Aided Designed jewelry and quick prototyping machines) and “Step by Step” (everyone’s favorite!). He also includes a brief glossary for reference. Of course, the photography is first class and the objects being photographed aren’t too shabby either! The jewelry depicted is modern, with bold, innovative shapes and great color.
Like I hope everyone already knows, I love to try new crafty stuff. There are things I haven’t tried and the reason is that they usually require more knowledge than what I currently posses or a specialized set of tools or a dirty-able work area.
I have always been curious about resin, but have never tried it because I didn’t know much about the subject, and didn’t want to clean up a big mess afterwards. This book gives an excellent introduction, tips with working with the material and for your workspace and presents projects and ideas for you to experiment with.
Once again, this is a book that I’d definitely buy… not only is it chock-full of eye candy, but it’s full of great information.

No comments:

Post a Comment