Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Natilla

Natilla is a Spanish custard made with milk and eggs; traditionally flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. It's been served at both of my grandma's houses since I can remember, and it's always a yummy, comforting dessert.
The original recipe can be found in the classic cookbook "Cocina al Minuto" from Nitza Villapol (now in reprint by Ediciones Cubamerica without the author's name). See most of it online or buy via Amazon.
Since I'm actually not a big fan of cinnamon, my personal recipe has been altered a little. I have also shrunk it considerably, so that making it once is only enough for a couple of servings (because I will sit down and eat the whole thing, it's best not to make a lot at one time).

Ingredients:
1 1/8 cup of milk (whole, 2%, skim, whatever you want)
1 egg yolk (the white goes in my breakfast the next morning)
6 tablespoons granulated sugar (or .375 cup, if you can figure that out)
cinnamon stick
lemon peel
1/16 teaspoon salt (or a pinch)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, mix the milk, egg yolk, sugar and salt, cinnamon stick and lemon peel (I use one big piece of micro-grating it, since it's easier to pull out. I also use a lot, since me and the BF like lemon).
Keep stirring the mixture over medium heat, until it boils. Failure to constantly stir will cause it to burn onto the bottom of the pan. Once it boils, lower heat to low. Combine the cornstarch and water, drizzling it into the mixture slowly while still stirring. If you prefer a thicker consistency, use more cornstarch and water (but remember, it thickens a bit upon cooling). Finally, stir in the vanilla extract.
You can then pour the mixture into a nice serving dish, or portion it out individually into plastic cups. Sprinkling ground cinnamon over it is also optional (I don't do it). Since I like it warm (even though it's traditionally eaten cold), I just pour it into a bowl and dig in =)

No comments:

Post a Comment